skip to main content


Search for: All records

Creators/Authors contains: "Scaife, Charles I."

Note: When clicking on a Digital Object Identifier (DOI) number, you will be taken to an external site maintained by the publisher. Some full text articles may not yet be available without a charge during the embargo (administrative interval).
What is a DOI Number?

Some links on this page may take you to non-federal websites. Their policies may differ from this site.

  1. Abstract

    The spatial variation of soil moisture over very small areas (<100 m2) can have nonlinear impacts on cycling and flux rates resulting in bias if it is not considered, but measuring this variation is difficult over extensive temporal and spatial scales. Most studies examining spatial variation of soil moisture were conducted at hillslope (0.01 km2) to multi‐catchment spatial scales (1000 km2). They found the greatest variation at mid wetness levels and the smallest variation at wet and dry wetness levels forming a concave down relationship. There is growing evidence that concave down relationships formed between spatial variation of soil moisture and average soil moisture are consistent across spatial scales spanning several orders of magnitude, but more research is needed at very small, plot scales (<100 m2). The goal of this study was to characterise spatial variation in shallow soil moisture at the plot scale by relating the mean of measurements collected in a plot to the standard deviation (SD). We combined data from a previous study with thousands of new soil moisture measurements from 212 plots in eight catchments distributed across the US Mid‐Atlantic Region to (1) test for a generalisable mean–SD relationship at plot scales, (2) characterise how landcover, land use, season, and hillslope position contribute to differences in mean–SD relationships, and (3) use these generalised mean–SD relationships to quantify their impacts on catchment scale nitrification and denitrification potential. Our study found that 98% of all measurements formed a generalised mean–SD relationship like those observed at hillslope and catchment spatial scales. The remaining 2% of data comprised a mean–SD relationship with greater spatial variation that originated from two riparian plots reported in a previous study. Incorporating the generalised mean–SD relationship into estimates of nitrification and denitrification potential revealed strong bias that was even greater when incorporating mean–SD observations from the two riparian plots with significantly greater spatial variation.

     
    more » « less
  2. Abstract

    Linking quickflow response to subsurface state can improve our understanding of runoff processes that drive emergent catchment behaviour. We investigated the formation of non‐linear quickflows in three forested headwater catchments and also explored unsaturated and saturated storage dynamics, and likely runoff generation mechanisms that contributed to threshold formation. Our analyses focused on two reference watersheds at the Coweeta Hydrologic Laboratory (CHL) in western North Carolina, USA, and one reference watershed at the Susquehanna Shale Hills Critical Zone Observatory (SHW) in Central Pennsylvania, USA, with available hourly soil moisture, groundwater, streamflow, and precipitation time series over several years. Our study objectives were to characterise (a) non‐linear runoff response as a function of storm characteristics and antecedent conditions, (b) the critical levels of shallow unsaturated and saturated storage that lead to hourly flow response, and (c) runoff mechanisms contributing to rapidly increasing quickflow using measurements of soil moisture and groundwater. We found that maximum hourly rainfall did not significantly contribute to quickflow production in our sites, in contrast to prior studies, due to highly conductive forest soils. Soil moisture and groundwater dynamics measured in hydrologically representative areas of the hillslope showed that variable subsurface states could contribute to non‐linear runoff behaviour. Quickflow generation in watersheds at CHL were dominated by both saturated and unsaturated pathways, but the relative contributions of each pathway varied between catchments. In contrast, quickflow was almost entirely related to groundwater fluctuations at SHW. We showed that co‐located measurements of soil moisture and groundwater supplement threshold analyses providing stronger prediction and understanding of quickflow generation and indicate dominant runoff processes.

     
    more » « less