skip to main content

This content will become publicly available on April 1, 2023

Title: Slab-derived devolatilization fluids oxidized by subducted metasedimentary rocks
Abstract Metamorphic devolatilization of subducted slabs generates aqueous fluids that ascend into the mantle wedge, driving the partial melting that produces arc magmas. These magmas have oxygen fugacities some 10–1,000 times higher than magmas generated at mid-ocean ridges. Whether this oxidized magmatic character is imparted by slab fluids or is acquired during ascent and interaction with the surrounding mantle or crust is debated. Here we study the petrology of metasedimentary rocks from two Tertiary Aegean subduction complexes in combination with reactive transport modelling to investigate the oxidative potential of the sedimentary rocks that cover slabs. We find that the metasedimentary rocks preserve evidence for fluid-mediated redox reactions and could be highly oxidized. Furthermore, the modelling demonstrates that layers of these oxidized rocks less than about 200 m thick have the capacity to oxidize the ascending slab dehydration flux via redox reactions that remove H 2 , CH 4 and/or H 2 S from the fluids. These fluids can then oxidize the overlying mantle wedge at rates comparable to arc magma generation rates, primarily via reactions involving sulfur species. Oxidized metasedimentary rocks need not generate large amounts of fluid themselves but could instead oxidize slab dehydration fluids ascending through them. Proposed Phanerozoic more » increases in arc magma oxygen fugacity may reflect the recycling of oxidative weathering products following Neoproterozoic–Palaeozoic marine and atmospheric oxygenation. « less
Authors:
; ; ; ; ; ; ;
Award ID(s):
1855208
Publication Date:
NSF-PAR ID:
10331608
Journal Name:
Nature Geoscience
Volume:
15
Issue:
4
Page Range or eLocation-ID:
320 to 326
ISSN:
1752-0894
Sponsoring Org:
National Science Foundation
More Like this
  1. Crystallization of the 2.06 Ga Bushveld magma formed a 9 km (maximum) sequence of ultramafic and mafic rocks that generated a large volume of country fluid as it thermally metamorphosed a 3+ km section of previously unaltered underlying sedimentary rocks of the Transvaal sequence – a geometry similar to that seen as subducting lithospheric slabs are heated by overlying mantle rocks. The presence of a diatreme (breccia pipe) and other large, pipe-like features in the Bushveld Complex located proximal to diapiric upwelling of the basement rocks suggest that overpressured fluids generated during dehydration of the footwall sediments are focused by the diapiric structures such that the country fluids rapidly penetrate the Bushveld rock. A re-examination of existing stable and radiogenic isotopic evidence is consistent with contamination of Main Zone magmas by 1–2% country fluid. Numeric modelling of the footwall dehydration similarly shows that most of the country fluids will be confined to pipe-like channels as it percolates into the Bushveld sill. Modelling also suggests that the maximum extent of the metamorphic aureole was reached at about the same time that the Main Zone began to crystallize. It is proposed that rapid inflation of the Bushveld sill induced the sudden andmore »catastrophic expulsion of overpressured country fluids to both generate the diatreme and contaminate the Main Zone magma, resulting in the Main Zone enrichment in crustal stable and radiogenic isotopic signatures (Sr, Nd, O and others). By analogy, it is also suggested that hydration melting in the mantle wedge is episodically driven by similar sudden influxes of slab fluids that are able to retain their geochemical and isotopic character by rapid channelled influx. This can be aided by flow focusing at diapirs structures at the upper slab-mantle contact.« less
  2. Recent geochemical evidence confirms the oxidized nature of arc magmas, but the underlying processes that regulate the redox state of the subarc mantle remain yet to be determined. We established a link between deep subduction-related fluids derived from dehydration of serpentinite ± altered oceanic crust (AOC) using B isotopes and B/Nb as fluid proxies, and the oxidized nature of arc magmas as indicated by Cu enrichment during magma evolution and V/Yb. Our results suggest that arc magmas derived from source regions influenced by a greater serpentinite (±AOC) fluid component record higher oxygen fugacity. The incorporation of this component into the subarc mantle is controlled by the subduction system’s thermodynamic conditions and geometry. Our results suggest that the redox state of the subarc mantle is not homogeneous globally: Primitive arc magmas associated with flat, warm subduction are less oxidized overall than those generated in steep, cold subduction zones.
  3. Abstract

    Sulfur belongs among H2O, CO2, and Cl as one of the key volatiles in Earth’s chemical cycles. High oxygen fugacity, sulfur concentration, and δ34S values in volcanic arc rocks have been attributed to significant sulfate addition by slab fluids. However, sulfur speciation, flux, and isotope composition in slab-dehydrated fluids remain unclear. Here, we use high-pressure rocks and enclosed veins to provide direct constraints on subduction zone sulfur recycling for a typical oceanic lithosphere. Textural and thermodynamic evidence indicates the predominance of reduced sulfur species in slab fluids; those derived from metasediments, altered oceanic crust, and serpentinite have δ34S values of approximately −8‰, −1‰, and +8‰, respectively. Mass-balance calculations demonstrate that 6.4% (up to 20% maximum) of total subducted sulfur is released between 30–230 km depth, and the predominant sulfur loss takes place at 70–100 km with a net δ34S composition of −2.5 ± 3‰. We conclude that modest slab-to-wedge sulfur transport occurs, but that slab-derived fluids provide negligible sulfate to oxidize the sub-arc mantle and cannot deliver34S-enriched sulfur to produce the positive δ34S signature in arc settings. Most sulfur has negative δ34S and is subducted into the deep mantle, which could cause a long-term increase in the δ34S of Earth surface reservoirs.

  4. Most known porphyry Cu deposits formed in the Phanerozoic and are exclusively associated with moderately oxidized, sulfur-rich, hydrous arc-related magmas derived from partial melting of the asthenospheric mantle metasomatized by slab-derived fluids. Yet, whether similar metallogenic processes also operated in the Precambrian remains obscure. Here we address the issue by investigating the origin, fO2, and S contents of calc-alkaline plutonic rocks associated with the Haib porphyry Cu deposit in the Paleoproterozoic Richtersveld Magmatic Arc (southern Namibia), an interpreted mature island-arc setting. We show that the ca. 1886–1881 Ma ore-forming magmas, originated from a mantle-dominated source with minor crustal contributions, were relatively oxidized (1‒2 log units above the fayalitemagnetite- quartz redox buffer) and sulfur-rich. These results indicate that moderately oxidized, sulfur-rich arc magma associated with porphyry Cu mineralization already existed in the late Paleoproterozoic, probably as a result of recycling of sulfate-rich seawater or sediments from the subducted oceanic lithosphere at that time.
  5. Sulfide breakdown during subduction releases oxidizing fluids that transport chalcophile and siderophile elements (CSE) such as Ni ,Co, and As. These fluids are reincorporated into high-pressure rocks such as eclogites during exhumation and rehydration along the slab-mantle interface. Evidence for these rehydration reactions takes the form of large sulfide (pyrite, pyrrhotite, chalcopyrite) grains (up to 5 mm) associated with hydrous Fe3+-bearing minerals. Here we present results of trace element determination by LA-ICP-MS coupled with mass balance calculations for sulfide-silicate reactions in rehydrated eclogites from the Mariánské Lázně Complex and Moldanubian Zone, Bohemian Massif, Czech Republic. One key texture observed in these rocks is the breakdown of garnet + omphacite in the presence of fluid to produce hornblende + diopside + plagioclase + pyrite. This rehydration reaction involves the oxidation of Fe2+ in garnet to Fe3+ in hornblende. In order to oxidize the iron from the garnet, we propose that sulfate is brought into the rock by an infiltrating fluid, where it is reduced to form pyrite, consistent with the observed textures. Trace element analyses reveal the Co distribution within rehydrated eclogite: Co is measurable in garnet (~50 μg/g), omphacite (~26 μg/g), hornblende (~80 μg/g), and pyrite (~5000 μg/g). Mass balancemore »calculations suggest that of the total amount of Co present in the rehydration products, only ~35 % can be supplied by the breakdown of garnet and omphacite, leaving ~65 % of the Co to be supplied by another source. Average concentrations of Ni are: in garnet (1–4 μg/g), omphacite (~57 μg/g), hornblende (~90 μg/g), and pyrite (~2500 μg/g). Mass balance calculations suggest that of the total amount of Ni present in the rehydration products, ~70 % comes from the breakdown of garnet + omphacite, with the other 30 % supplied external to this reaction. Arsenic is not present in the silicate minerals, but is in the 10s of μg/g range in pyrite, and must be supplied externally to the rock, likely from a fluid. We conclude that the fluids released from subducting slabs carry sulfate and CSEs, which infiltrate the slab-mantle interface and eventually make their way into the sub-arc mantle, where they can be incorporated into the arc magmatic system.« less